Last Friday I went to the fabric store to look for some Christmas fabric to make some bunting... and somehow came out with like 10 yards of fabric... Luckily they had a good sale! I have a fabric weakness... and when I do, I tend to buy in bulk. I also tend to sew a lot of things at once, or not sew at all for months at a time. When the urge hits me to sew something or do a project, sometime it is hard for me to stop it! Don't worry, I took turns with a timer so I still got a lot of editing done... This project was just a little mental break from sitting at the computer for hours on end. I would edit for 30 minutes and work on a project or play with the kids or bake bread or do laundry or household chores for 20 minutes and take turns with it all day. :) It's the only way that I have found for me to get things done both at home and with photography stuff. This project was a little bit of both!
I had wanted to make stockings for the kids for several years now, but haven't found just the right fabric... until now. It was perfect for the girls and matched our house decor too! The red chevron I picked up last year for just $1 a yard! Score! I didn't know what I would use it for at the time, but it was too good of a deal to pass up! I plan to use that pattern for the boys! I found the stocking below at the Et Cetera shop downtown. (Along with a whole box full of goodies for future projects but that is a whole other blog post...) I didn't like the fabric of the red stocking, but I liked the shape, and for $1 it made a perfect pattern for me!
I traced around it and then traced and cut several more pieces! It was kind of addicting...
I used a contrasting fabric for the top of the stocking where it folds over.
I had to keep putting the scissors up high, and would keep forgetting where I would put them... Scissors and our kids hair have a bad history together so I had to keep them out of reach... besides that they are dangerous of course! Just for fun you can notice the cabinet my Dad made with the cool dental molding! I love it!
This little girl was supposed to be in bed, but my sewing was to interesting fofor her to go to sleep.
I happened to have some red pom-poms in my scrap pile to use so I put the finishing touch on with that.
I cut out about 6 stockings... but only got that one done. It took longer than I anticipated since I decided to put the lining in. I also cut a crazy amount of bunting pieces... but only finished this strand. When I get in another mood to sew, I can just make more bunting!
I also sewed together a quick duvet cover by just cutting two different fabrics the same length, and then sewed them together! So easy!!
The bed I picked up on Craigslist a few years ago and it has been sitting around waiting to be fixed up... I did it the day before my first mini session, but I got it done... And I think I am in love! Christmas trees, milk and cookies and a bed in a field! Just as I had envisioned it! I have also been on an editing marathon today and all week, so if you have been waiting for an e-mail or pics to go up, look for them this weekend! Keep an eye out for details on the mini sessions coming up! I know it is not even Thanksgiving yet, but I want to get them done early while the weather is nice! Happy Friday everyone!